What can cause an overbite?
Overbites can be the result of several different factors:
- Genetics: An overlap can happen simply because of the shape of an individual’s facial bones. There could be irregularities in the jawbone structure or hereditary conditions that lead to bite issues.
- Overcrowding: Crowded teeth can result in bite problems, especially when the back molars have been under excessive wear and tear and are damaged or lost.
- Habits: Certain practices from childhood such as thumb-sucking, prolonged use of pacifiers or bottles, and tongue thrusting can increase the chances of an overbite. Chewing on objects like pencils, hair or nails can also lead to this condition.
Why fix an overbite?
Some people may feel embarrassed about their smile, so correcting bite issues can boost self-esteem.
An overbite can cause a lot of discomfort, not just within your mouth but for your body and mental well-being. Some of the symptoms you could experience include:
- Persistent facial and oral pain.
- Locking jaw.
- Tooth loss and decay.
- Speech impairment.
- Oral diseases.
- Chewing issues.
- Oral hygiene difficulties.
After your braces or clear aligner treatment, one of our retainer options can help you maintain your smile, preventing an overbite from returning.