When should kids first see the orthodontist?
Early orthodontic treatment can help your child tremendously later in life. The American Association of Orthodontists recommends you bring them in for a visit as early as seven years old. By age seven, your child’s mouth has developed enough that our kids’ orthodontists in Seymour and Knoxville can see early warning signs of alignment problems that could worsen over time. Catching issues early allows our kids’ orthodontists to craft a plan for your child’s orthodontic needs and begin treatment at the right time.
Our process starts with a free consultation. Dr. Langford or Dr. Ringer will use this time to inspect your child’s jaw and determine if you should have them return for further treatment.
Benefits of early orthodontic treatment
Seeing an orthodontist for kids can lead to numerous benefits. Here’s why your child should see a kids’ orthodontist near you:
- Detect early warning signs: Our family orthodontists in Seymour and Knoxville can assess your child’s mouth to predict how their teeth will grow into place. If they notice an issue, catching it earlier ensures we can more effectively treat your child later in life.
- Find non-surgical solutions: Catching signs of misalignment early allows us to implement solutions that prevent the problem from worsening beyond what standard treatment methods can fix.
- Grow a straighter smile: Our kids’ orthodontists can implement minor solutions that guide how your child’s teeth grow. As a result, they’ll have a straighter jaw complete with teeth that fit into the proper positions.
- Promote good habits: When your child sees an orthodontist for kids early in life, they’ll learn more about keeping their mouth healthy. Dr. Langford or Dr. Ringer will help your child understand and practice habits that reduce the need for orthodontic treatment later in life.
Does my child need braces?
During your free initial consultation, we will evaluate your child’s smile to determine if they could benefit from kids’ braces and the best time to start treatment. Our friendly team will welcome you to our family orthodontics office in Knoxville or Seymour, and one of our pediatric orthodontists will walk you through different options. Your child may need braces immediately, not at all, or we may wait until their adult teeth come in. We take a personalized approach to each patient to ensure the best possible results.
Together, we can improve your child’s oral health and give them a smile they love with our braces for kids near you.
Why do kids get braces?
Many orthodontic devices can align and straighten your child’s developing smile as they grow. We may start orthodontic treatment with a device that prepares the mouth and jaw for braces, such as a palatal expander. Kids’ braces treatment may span years as the teeth and jaw fully erupt and develop.
Catching orthodontic issues early on can prevent them from worsening over time. Your child may need kids’ braces if they experience the following:
- Difficulty chewing, talking or breathing
- Gaps when smiling or chewing
- Speech impediments
- Early crowding
- Rotated teeth
- Impacted or missing permanent teeth
Traditional metal braces include brackets that we attach to wires with colored rubber bands. We will replace the wire every few weeks to gradually align teeth, close gaps, and help adult teeth come in correctly.
Ceramic clear braces
Clear braces work on the same principle as metal braces, except they feature translucent or teeth-colored ceramic brackets that blend in easily with your child’s teeth.
Trust Langford for customized care
We help your child love their smile for a lifetime. Choose Langford Orthodontics, some of the best pediatric orthodontists near you in Knoxville and Seymour, for visible results and a welcoming family of professionals. We offer compassionate care, modern technology and flexible financing for our patients.
When you work with us, you get a custom plan that matches your child’s unique needs. Schedule a free consultation today!